Join Athrabeth’s Discord!
Map of Beleriand (drawn by Christopher Tolkien)
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Lost Road and Other Writings, “Part Two. Valinor and Middle-earth before The Lord of the Rings: Chapter 5: The Lhammas”
- J.R.R. Tolkien, “Tengwesta Qenderinwa and Pre-Fëanorian Alphabets Part 2”, in Parma Eldalamberon XVIII (edited by Christopher Gilson, Arden R. Smith, and Patrick H. Wynne), pp. 28-9, 81 (additional tables)
- J.R.R. Tolkien, “Words, Phrases and Passages, Appendices, The Quendian Languages”, in Parma Eldalamberon XVII (edited by Christopher Gilson, Arden R. Smith, and Patrick H. Wynne), pp. 127-135
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The War of the Jewels, “Part Four. Quendi and Eldar”
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The War of the Jewels, “Part One. The Grey Annals”
- J.R.R. Tolkien, “From Quendi and Eldar, Appendix D” (edited by Carl F. Hostetter), in Vinyar Tengwar, Number 39, July 1998
- Tolkien, J.R.R. ""Words of Joy": Five Catholic Prayers in Quenya. (Part One)" Ed. Patrick Wynne, Arden R. Smith, and Carl F. Hostetter. Vinyar Tengwar 43 (2002): 538. Print.
- Tolkien, J.R.R. ""Words of Joy": Five Catholic Prayers in Quenya. (Part Two)" Ed. Patrick Wynne, Arden R. Smith, and Carl F. Hostetter. Vinyar Tengwar 44 (2002): 520. Print.
- Tolkien, J.R.R. "The Qenya Phonology and Lexicon." Ed. Christopher Gilson, Carl F. Hostetter, Patrick Wynne, and Arden R. Smith. Parma Eldalamberon 12 (1998)
- Garth, John. Tolkien and the Great War : the threshold of Middle-earth. London: HarperCollins, 2003.
- Letter 142. In H. Carpenter and C. Tolkien (Eds.), The Letters of J. R. R. Tolkien.New York, NY: Houghton Mifflin
Vinyar Tengwar Homepage
Elven Linguistic Fellowship
Vinyar Tengwar Issue 43
This episode Jude and Stef talk to Dawn Walls-Thumma, founder of the Silmarillion Writers Guild and author of a fascinating survey on the culture and practices of the Tolkien Fanfiction community.
Silmarillion Writers Guild
Dawn’s Personal Page
Join Athrabeth’s Discord!
Works Referenced This Episode
Walls-Thumma, Dawn (2019) Data on Tolkien Fanfiction Culture and Practices (1st Edition)
Jude and Stef review the new Tolkien biopic, as well John Garth’s “Tolkien and the Great War”. Some beefs are had.
From the noble Mearas of the Rohirrim to the dark mounts of the Black Riders, we close out our Horsey series with some of the most notable steeds of Middle-earth
What started as a joke about ranking of all the horses of Middle-earth as a palate cleanser for Stef after so many episodes about souls and eschatology, has turned into two of our best episodes, courtesy of Stef’s unbridled enthusiasm for hoses and Tolkien! Enjoy this first in our two part series on the Horses of Middle-earth!
In the conclusion of first episodes on the Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth, we cover the second half of the conversation, discuss the Tale of Adanel, and give our final thoughts on this amazing piece. We also talk about our recent trip to New York to attend the Tolkien and Inspiration symposium at the Morgan Library!
Part 1 of our first foray into the work that gave our podcast its name, Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth! We meet the our interlocutors and dive into this fascinating exploration of death, faith, and hope in Middle-earth.
Part 2 of our discussion of souls, eschatology, and the elven afterlife examines the properties inherent to fëa, including thought transmission, and then we discuss elven resurrection!